IMPORTANT: June 16th School Board Meeting in Groves

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Re: May 12th board meeting in Groves

It is not about QBs. It is about keeping Coach Faircloth at PN-GISD. Read the entire thread. It is worth the time to read it, especially if you care about PN-GISD, treating people fairly, honestly, and honorably, and attending school board meetings to ensure that your voice is heard by elected members of the PN-GISD Board of Trustees.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts

I've read the entire, and I'm behind Coach Faircloth 100%. We should do whatever it takes to show support. I was tripped up on the comment about Walker.

Torino

500+ Posts

TexasTech84 said:
"And, during Coach Faircloth's 15 year run, if you are willing to give him that many years, let him play the same cards as the prior staff, i.e., call up a friend who is an OC and have him and son -- a DI QB -- move to Groves so we can have a three year run. You do know that Dustin Long was not at PN-G K-12, right? He moved here. Let's give Coach Faircloth the same 15 years and the same cards to play"

With all respect 1989NDN, I am not taking sides here including Bark's, Coach BF is a heck of a coach, Correct me if I am wrong, Then he bring over Judge Walker grandson, Ky Walker to PNG from Hamshire-Fannett to be are starting QB ?, nothing wrong here, he is a heck of a QB. But at the end of it all, when your in this type of positions your going to look out for certain close friends. That's just the way it is. This is going on in all school districts.
I don't think Coach BF recruited ("bring over") Mr. Walker or anybody else. The parents of good athletes decided to move to a community with a good athletic program. Our children were good students and we wanted them to be successful in college, so we selected PNG ISD over PA ISD, Nederland, and Bridge City. My guess is that active recruiting of students in other school districts on the part of our coaches would be in violation of UIL rules.

78 Indian

I totally support Faircloth and all of the coaches. If the coordinators get an extra stipend, that is fine with me. They put in an unbelievable amount of extra hours so they have more than earned the money. I will definitely keep my eye on the next school board election. If Balsamo and Walters don't support our coaches, I won't be voting for either one of them.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

Thank you 78 Indian. We need a strong and large show of support at the June 2014 school board meeting. I'm not suggesting a rowdy or uncivil meeting. We need a civil and courteous show of support. Educated and well intentioned supporters doing what is best for PN-GISD. Nothing against any of the elected board members. No personal attacks. Simply attend the board meeting, listen to what is said, take notes, and voice support for Coach Faircloth and, to remind the board members that they were elected to serve the taxpayers of PN-GISD. They are not elected to pursue personal agendas or to conduct vendettas or to seek revenge against a teacher or coach. Honor the contract that was given to Coach Faircloth. Give him the stipends as set forth in his contract. Give the man a decent athletic budget. Show him support and let him do his thing. The next two to four years may include some good times for Indian athletics. Call or e-mail the PN-GISD Board of Trustees and Dr. Cavness and voice your support for Coach Faircloth. Students, former students, PN-G alumni, parents, taxpayers and everyone that bleeds purple and white, go attend the June school board meeting.

Go Indians. Peace.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

1989NDN said:
Thank you 78 Indian. We need a strong and large show of support at the June 2014 school board meeting. I'm not suggesting a rowdy or uncivil meeting. We need a civil and courteous show of support. Educated and well intentioned supporters doing what is best for PN-GISD. Nothing against any of the elected board members. No personal attacks. Simply attend the board meeting, listen to what is said, take notes, and voice support for Coach Faircloth and, to remind the board members that they were elected to serve the taxpayers of PN-GISD. They are not elected to pursue personal agendas or to conduct vendettas or to seek revenge against a teacher or coach. Honor the contract that was given to Coach Faircloth. Give him the stipends as set forth in his contract. Give the man a decent athletic budget. Show him support and let him do his thing. The next two to four years may include some good times for Indian athletics. Call or e-mail the PN-GISD Board of Trustees and Dr. Cavness and voice your support for Coach Faircloth. Students, former students, PN-G alumni, parents, taxpayers and everyone that bleeds purple and white, go attend the June school board meeting.

Go Indians. Peace.

+1

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

The June 2014 meeting of the PN-GISD school board will take place on June 16, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., at the West Groves Education Building (West Groves Elementary School). If you can attend, please do so.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Presenting the issues in a respectful manner is important, but also make sure the concerns are not overlooked or ignored.

Is it necessary to have topics of concern added to the agenda before the meeting? Do individuals have to be granted permission to speak beforehand?

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

^^^^ Good question. Everyone is saying "Voice your support" etc., and I agree, but how does one do that w/o actually being on the agenda and taking the floor?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

PNG Proud said:
^^^^ Good question. Everyone is saying "Voice your support" etc., and I agree, but how does one do that w/o actually being on the agenda and taking the floor?

NEXT PN-GISD SCHOOL BOARD MEETING: MONDAY, JUNE 16, 2014, at 7:00 p.m. (Central) AT THE WEST GROVES EDUCATION BUILDING

It is a good question. A good answer can be found on the PN-GISD webpage. Click the tab for Board of Trustees. On the page where you meet the Team of Eight, there is a link to Board of Trustees and Superintendent Operating Procedures. Click on that link. It should take you to a .PDF. Scroll down to page 3, Developing the Board Agenda. Basically, the Superintendent submits an agenda to the Board President for approval. Other board members and request that items be placed on the agenda. Parents, students, employees, citizens do not have a right to place items on the agenda. We will not know until the agenda is release if the stipends and/or other issues regarding Coach Faircloth will be a specific item of discussion, but regardless, the citizens can show up and voice support. Well...

How does a citizen get an opportunity to speak to the board? Scroll down to page 4, Member Conduct During Board Meetings:

A. Patrons Addressing the Board
1. Open Forum: At regular meetings the Board may allocate 30 minutes in the aggregate to hear a patron or patrons who desire to make comments to the Board. Persons who wish to participate in this portion of the meeting shall sign up as they arrive, indicating the topic about which they wish to speak. Only the topic indicated will be allowed.
i. During open forums, the Board is assembled to gather input only.
ii. Rules for the open forum will be strictly adhered to:
a. Board will limit response to 5 minutes per individual.
b. Board will accept written and/or oral testimony.
c. Delegations of more than five (5) persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
d. Board will not allow any derogatory comments, gestures, or distractions.

Show up on Monday, June 16, 2014, arrive early enough to sign up to speak, and be prepared to take the floor for 3 - 5 minutes. Ask the school board to stop the harassment of Coach Faircloth, support him and his program, give the man the stipends that are written into his contract, give the man a fair and reasonable athletic budget, and get out of his way...he runs a good and clean program that PN-GISD can, and should be, proud to support. Let him do his thing over the next 2 to 4 years and enjoy watching PN-G students have success. Be civil, be supportive, and be respectful of the members elected. But, remind them they were elected to serve you - the taxpayers of PN-GISD.

Hope this helps. Go Indians. Happy Memorial Day...remember those that sacrificed for our freedoms. Peace.

Fairlane

100+ Posts

1989NDN said:
PNG Proud said:

NEXT PN-GISD SCHOOL BOARD MEETING: MONDAY, JUNE 16, 2014, at 7:00 p.m. (Central) AT THE WEST GROVES EDUCATION BUILDING

It is a good question. A good answer can be found on the PN-GISD webpage. Click the tab for Board of Trustees. On the page where you meet the Team of Eight, there is a link to Board of Trustees and Superintendent Operating Procedures. Click on that link. It should take you to a .PDF. Scroll down to page 3, Developing the Board Agenda. Basically, the Superintendent submits an agenda to the Board President for approval. Other board members and request that items be placed on the agenda. Parents, students, employees, citizens do not have a right to place items on the agenda. We will not know until the agenda is release if the stipends and/or other issues regarding Coach Faircloth will be a specific item of discussion, but regardless, the citizens can show up and voice support. Well...

How does a citizen get an opportunity to speak to the board? Scroll down to page 4, Member Conduct During Board Meetings:

A. Patrons Addressing the Board
1. Open Forum: At regular meetings the Board may allocate 30 minutes in the aggregate to hear a patron or patrons who desire to make comments to the Board. Persons who wish to participate in this portion of the meeting shall sign up as they arrive, indicating the topic about which they wish to speak. Only the topic indicated will be allowed.
i. During open forums, the Board is assembled to gather input only.
ii. Rules for the open forum will be strictly adhered to:
a. Board will limit response to 5 minutes per individual.
b. Board will accept written and/or oral testimony.
c. Delegations of more than five (5) persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
d. Board will not allow any derogatory comments, gestures, or distractions.

Show up on Monday, June 16, 2014, arrive early enough to sign up to speak, and be prepared to take the floor for 3 - 5 minutes. Ask the school board to stop the harassment of Coach Faircloth, support him and his program, give the man the stipends that are written into his contract, give the man a fair and reasonable athletic budget, and get out of his way...he runs a good and clean program that PN-GISD can, and should be, proud to support. Let him do his thing over the next 2 to 4 years and enjoy watching PN-G students have success. Be civil, be supportive, and be respectful of the members elected. But, remind them they were elected to serve you - the taxpayers of PN-GISD.

Hope this helps. Go Indians. Happy Memorial Day...remember those that sacrificed for our freedoms. Peace.
It will be better to have 10 individuals speak 2-3 minutes than 5 speak 4-5 minutes. Keep in mind there may be speakers on other topics (perhaps ringers planted by the board to deflect criticism from them). ;)

Justafan

2,000+ Posts

What is sad, as a community we had a chance to replace these members. But we voted them back in this past year. So guess what they aren't going anywhere until 2016!!!!

bark

1,000+ Posts

justafan said:
What is sad, as a community we had a chance to replace these members. But we voted them back in this past year. So guess what they aren't going anywhere until 2016!!!!
that's the sad part - can BF take all their BS for 2/3 more years?

you can bet they know it and are holding fast to dealing BF BS. I am beginning to believe some of the posts as to them having a agenda - knowing we can't do anything about it, till 2016.

NDN411

I am beginning to believe some of the posts as to them having a agenda - knowing we can't do anything about it, till 2016.

They can deny it until they are blue in the face, but all it takes is going back and looking at how these board members have voted in the past on issues concerning Faircloth and the athletic program. Balsamo can deny he has anything against the coaching staff, but the way in which he votes (on almost all occasions) proves otherwise.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts

Should these board members continue to butt heads with BF -- it will be only a matter of time before word is out and interest from around the state for future coaching positions will dissipate. No one will want to move their families here to fight tooth and nail with the school board members while attempting to advance this athletic program to the degree of being able to compete with the elite schools from around the state and bring titles back to SE Texas. There are just too many other opportunities and communities where the board members, parents and communities are all on the same page and trying to create something special and rewarding for their communities and youth.

Small town, small minds and tight purse strings tend to be a turnoff to many.

bark

1,000+ Posts

IBLEEDPURPLE said:
Should these board members continue to butt heads with BF -- it will be only a matter of time before word is out and interest from around the state for future coaching positions will dissipate. No one will want to move their families here to fight tooth and nail with the school board members while attempting to advance this athletic program to the degree of being able to compete with the elite schools from around the state and bring titles back to SE Texas. There are just too many other opportunities and communities where the board members, parents and communities are all on the same page and trying to create something special and rewarding for their communities and youth.

Small town, small minds and tight purse strings tend to be a turnoff to many.
yep, why stay when you can go to a better situation. like Matt said he could go to Houston ISD as a Def. Coor. for more money than at PN. of course they offered the transportation thing for the same $. which is kinda ironic now with the BF $ concern

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

If there are only two board members with an alleged agenda, surely the others can stick together and overrule anything they try to do. That and constant pressure from the community to remind them of the community wishes. There is strength in numbers.

If this is truly going on then those board members are a disgrace to the district that they claim to serve. :thumbsdown:

Torino

500+ Posts

IndianFan said:
If there are only two board members with an alleged agenda, surely the others can stick together and overrule anything they try to do. That and constant pressure from the community to remind them of the community wishes. There is strength in numbers.

If this is truly going on then those board members are a disgrace to the district that they claim to serve. :thumbsdown:
3 have a clear agenda. 1 votes the way she is told. How can anyone act surprised? Remember the controversy in summer 2010:

Football / Coaching Position
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »

Quote from: ndnsrock44 on June 22, 2010, 12:09:20 PM

Wow! What an impressive accomplishment! This man is taking us places.(Cowboys Stadium) Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades! 8)

Quote from: ndnsrock44 on June 22, 2010, 12:09:20 PM

Wow! What an impressive accomplishment! This man is taking us places.(Cowboys Stadium) Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades! 8)

Enjoy the “Faircloth Years” while you can.

Last night the PN-G School board voted to reduce the size of the high school coaching staff. This was Joe Cegielski’s coaching position, which became vacant when he was transferred to administration in fall 2009.

Against the recommendation of the Superintendent, HS Principal, and Athletic Director, Rodney Balsamo, Melanie Miller, and Jim Walters voted against allowing the position to remain classroom teacher/coach. Mrs. Broussard stated that she didn’t understand the issue and abstained. Therefore, the motion to fill the coaching vacancy failed on a 3-3-1 vote.

The head football coaching position at Odessa Permian will come open again after the end of the 2011 season. The former Permian offensive coordinator who helped the school post it’s best offensive numbers in its history, revived the PN-G football program, and gained valuable administrative experience as our AD will be a very attractive candidate.

You can take this one to the bank: if he wins an undefeated district championship, achieves a top-10 ranking at the end of the regular season, and is the state “Coach of the Year”--all in his first year--the Odessa ISD school board will not reward him by reducing the size of the coaching staff.

It’s true, as some of the opposing board members said last night—or in the case of Mrs. Miller just nodded a lot when Balsamo and Walters spoke—that we did get by for most of the past school year without the coaching position. That is true, and under ordinary circumstances it might be worth a try. However, it was mentioned that more freshman are expected to participate in athletics next year than the freshman did this year—maybe 50+ additional. We want our students to participate in sports for the physical, mental, leadership, and emotional benefits, but we need enough coaches to accommodate kids in the different sports.

A 5th has no clear idea why he is on the board, other than he wants to be on it. :(
No way 2 responsible trustees can defeat those odds.

Yes, the 2 you reference are detrimental to our community.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Several years ago the school board of a small East Texas district voted not to renew the contract of a head coach who had just won the school's first state championship in over 80 years of play. The reason? Local politics fueled by grudges against the coach. He had done nothing wrong. That school has done nothing in football since, even with several star players returning the year after the championship win, and very successful sub-varsity teams.

BTW, those board members failed to maintain their positions, and were not exactly the most popular people in town going forward. True story that is a source of ridicule around the state to this day.

The chance that PN-G HS, with all the community pride and support of the school and athletics, might be in that situation as well is a travesty and a shame.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores